Monday, December 14, 2009

Why Running?

I was a pretty active kid involved in the usual swimming, dance, soccer etc. but sort of had a "slump" of inactivity during my later teens (probably when I needed it the most!) So after finding my freshmen 15 (lbs) nicely distributed upon my hips I needed to get active...quickly! Running seemed to be the only thing that I could fit into my very busy schedule. Running was a solitary sport - one that I could do at any time, alone or with someone and at my own pace. And so the obsession began.

Little did I know what I was about to embark on. A passion (read: Obsession) that has carried me through all of lifes ups and downs. Running has become not only a source of fitness, but a stress reliever, a source of independence and strength that I did not know I had.

I remember back when I started running - It was more like walking with some running breaks. I thought "if I ever run a 5 km..." well now - 2 marathons later, the possibilities are endless. The best part about this journey is that I am racing against myself. My times are a direct result of the work I put in, the effort of my training and eventually my physical limitations. However success is measured in many ways - and my goals will change, however I can only hope that I will always have running in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment